Sunday, October 24, 2010

Concept Development for the Gregory Home


When Interior Designers start searching for new and creative ideas they don't just come up with them on the spot, they take time to develop.
A concept is one of the places that they originate ideas from. This concept below is the concept model that I will be using on redesigning the Gregory house. From it I will create different rooms, spaces, and unique circulation for their home.

I used the song "Soul Meets Body" by the band Death Cab For Cutie as my main inspiration in creating the concept model.

I want to live where soul meets body
And let the sun wrap its arms around me
And bathe my skin in water cool and cleansing
And feel, feel what its like to be new

Above are the main lyrics that I used as inspiration because this part of the song pertained mostly to a home or place to live.

The main parts that I took from these few lines are "Soul Meets Body" and "Water cool and Cleansing"

"Soul Meets Body" - I took the idea of two different things coming together and meeting and applied it to a square cut in half that to form two triangles. This can be seen best in the overhead view on the image below. It shows two forms moving to and from each other, representing thing meeting and going away.

"Water Cool and Cleansing" - From this line I abstracted the lyric partly and came up with the idea of a wave washing over someone and cleaning/"cleansing" them. This can be seen in the perspective image below that shows the height of board ranges from five inches to 1 inch. This height difference represented waves
crashing and cleaning.

There were a few other parts I used as inspiration that helped lead up to my final design but those two lines are where a large amount of information was abstracted from. Below is the final product.

While this might be the final concept model for the Gregory home, there are still certain aspects that I would change. The main thing that I would like to change would be the overall structure of the model, I would make the model not so symmetrical. Since part of my inspiration is a wave it would make sense that the structure is not perfectly lined up and even. I could change this by moving each row up once set. This would create an uneven look, more realistic wave, create a structure that is not symmetrical, and more visually interesting concept model. Having created something like that would help to better communicate my concept and the direction I want to take with designing each room of the home in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment