Sunday, October 24, 2010

Kitchen Design

The Gregory Kitchen was the first room that I have worked on, studied, and designed. It was something that is new to me that I have been looking forward to but sort of nervous about too. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. After all I had all my concepts created for the kitchen, inspirational song, and had just learned a great deal of information about different kitchen design.

The first thing that I considered was the overall shape of my kitchen. I had a large space for my kitchen so I knew that I could pretty much have have any shape. I ended up going with a L-shaped kitchen with an average size island. I went with the L-shaped instead of the U-shaped because I wanted to make sure that there was plenty of room for person in wheel chair to access the space and function with no mobility problems.

The next thing I worked on was figuring out the work triangles. Since the home will have two adults doing the majority of the cooking I wanted there to be space for two adults to cook. Having one primary work triangle and one smaller secondary work triangle.

The last major part I focused on was the placement, heights, and material options for all the appliances and finishes. This is the step that I feel I needs the most improvement. I was not to sure which materials to choose and when I did choose them I was not think to much about how they combine with the other materials that combine. Since completing the project I have gone back and thought about what I would do differently choosing as far as choosing materials go.

Below are the pieces of trace that I mounted on foam core showing my initial ideas for my the Gregory's kitchen.





No comments:

Post a Comment