Thursday, March 25, 2010

Heritage Textile Pattern

This project was one of my favorites because I got to research my family heritage and create a design based on the culture. I really enjoyed creating my heritage textile pattern even though it took a while to figure out the design. My family's heritage is Irish so I went in that direction.

My final design came after throwing away five previous designs. Not being to thrilled with my quilt pattern, I really wanted to make sure my textile showed growth. So, if I was not satisfied with the design, I would alter it until I was satisfied. That meant starting from scratch five times. It was certainly worth the energy and time!
Single Pattern


Heritage Textile Pattern

(Click to Enlarge)

Concept Statement

Irish culture and heritage has been around for thousands of years. Ireland’s way of life is significantly influenced by the Celtic’s culture.

Ireland’s traditions are surrounded by Catholic ideas and figures. The iconic image of a shamrock was used by St. Patrick to help explain the Holy Trinity to pagans in Ireland.

The shamrock pattern repeated four times is the symbolic image of a four leaf clover and luck. The cross symbolizes the importance of the Catholic Church and patron saint St. Patrick. The Celtic symbol that splits the image through the middles represents Celtic’s influence on Ireland’s culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment